Happy Thanksgiving!
Being Greek-American we find ourselves eating essentially two Thanksgivings. We have our American foods and out Greek good either one alone would be a complete meal.
What will you find on the table this year, you ask? Here you go: turkey, sausage leek stuffing, ritz cracker shrimp stuffing, homemade gravy, glazed green beans with bacon, cheesy baked mashed potatoes, corn, spanakopita, stuffed grape leaves, tzatziki, salad, and I am pretty sure I am missing something.
That is so much food that you could just do without dessert all together but that wouldn't be fun so we are having two Greek desserts. I thought well we have definitely embraced a real Thanksgiving meal but we haven't added anything American (store bought apple pie doesn't count) to the menu.
Since my fiancé loves sweet potatoes he suggested I make a sweet potato pie. At first I wasn't too sure but I figured it he wants one then Ill make it for him.
I began researching recipes and came across Martha Stewart's recipe and figured that Martha hasn't steered me wring yet so I went for it.
Martha Stewart calls for homemade pie dough but because I wasn't convinced the pie would be any good I decided against it and bought ready made dough.
I just rolled it on to a 9" glass pie pan and trimmed the edges.
Since this was my first pie I didn't know what to do with the edges so I did some research on Pinterest and I came across the decorative pie crusts using fondant/mini cookie cutters so I jumped on it.
I had small flowers so I started cutting out flowers out of the other piece of pie dough and attaching them using water.
I added some holes with a fork because I think I heard of Food Network at some point you should. This part really didn't take a lot of time.
During this time I was baking my sweet potatoes. They were in a 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes then I got tired of waiting and popped them in the microwave for 5 minutes and they were perfect! I peeled the skins of and let them cool off.
I don't have pictures of the next part because I am new to this blogging thing. But I will explain! The recipe says to beat the sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl with a paddle attachment and the stringy pieces will wrap around the paddle and you can toss them. This did not happen for me... I am not sure if many my sweet potatoes maybe didn't have strings? Not sure but it looked fine.
From there I followed the directions exactly. Except for when I forgot the lemon juice... Its ok though I doubt anyone will notice.
The pie baked at 375 for about 55 minutes and it looks beautiful!
We haven't tried it yet but I hope my very American dessert makes the cut!
Adapted from Martha Stewart
Have an awesome Thanksgiving!
xoxo Moumsy






looks amazing !!!
ReplyDeleteI am not Anonymous.. I am Shelby!!